A while ago I thrifted a vintage skirt with a lovely floral print. But I didn't wear it very often and when I was cleaning out my wardrobe I decided it would be made into something else.
Skirts are easy to use when you want to upcycle, since the usually are made of big pieces of fabric with little seams. So you have a lot of material to work with. And it tends to be in better shape too, compared to that of other sorts of clothing. I always have a look at the dresses and skirts section at a thriftstore and scan for colour, print and material. You can find some real gems!
This is what I started with:
When you start cutting up your piece of clothing, try to stay close to the original seams. Measure your pattern and cut only as far as you need to save material, you never know when the remainder might come in handy!
I don't take patterns too strict and try to let the material guide me. Is it too short? Well, then the waistline gets a bit higher. A bit too narrow? Okay, no sleeves then.
This skirt was cut into four basic pieces. Two to make the top and bottom of a dress, one for a skirt, and one for a dolls dress. (I usually make little versions of my daughters clothes for her favorite doll out of the scraps, just for the fun of it.)
Because there was enough going on with the print and the countless little folds I stayed with a simple pattern for the clothes. I used the original hem for the dress, and since the material doesn't fray I left the skirt's hemline unfinished. So they were ready in no-time!
Hopefully these can be worn in warm and sunny weather soon!
The dress was for my daughters birthday, and the floral tiara was made to go with it. There is a little tutorial for that one in my previous post. ;)